Eureka’s steam era W44 features the first dedicated ore carrier, the GC. This was a subclass of the G wagon, introduced in 1951, of which there were 500 vehicles. In 1961, to carry the lead ore from Broken Hill to Cockle Creek, forty-eight G wagons had their underfloor hoppers and side doors sealed and were recoded GC, with a red corner post to indicate the change. Later, a number were upgraded by the fitting of roller-bearing 2AS bogies, which required the moving of the handbrake and ladder from the end to a central position. Later still, 2CG bogies were fitted to many and finally the sides and floor were replaced entirely, without doors, creating the GP type.