The All Pullman electrical coaches were built in 1932 by Metro Cammell to use on the Southern Belle train. This train was later renamed the ‘Brighton Belle’ on 29th June 1934. The three coaches were known as 5 BEL and had similar equipment to the 6 PUL coaches with which they could run in numerous when essential. They were Supplied with BTH 163 motors and Metro Vick controls.
The Pullman coaches were revealed as 5 PUL in public operation, at the same time as the 6-car coaches were 6 COR, these then being updated to 6 PUL and the Pullman coaches then became 5 BEL. The over-all seating dimensions of the coaches were first 40 and third 152; they were 346′ 0″ long and weighed 251 tons. The coaches were of all-steel construction with the entrance doors on all cars being somewhat inset.
- – Highly detailed interiors
- – Lit table lamps in all carriages
- – Lit cabin interiors depending on direction of travel
- – Close coupling mechanisms
- – Roof panels of fine photo-etched metal plates.