The EMD E5 was built as a 2000 horsepower (despite the “E” in the name of the locomotive series originally referring to an “Eighteen hundred” horsepower engine specification) locomotive for passenger service specifically for the Chicago Burlington & Quincy. The major difference between the E5 and its other early E-unit brothers was its stainless steel finish and distinctive fluting, specifically chosen to match the CB&Q’s corrugated passenger trains such as the California Zephyr, Nebraska Zephyr, and Silver Streak Zephyr. During the 60’s, the E5’s wore new red stripes to match the CB&Q’s updated color scheme at the time.
- Directional Amber LED headlights and illuminated, pre-printed numberboards.
- De-skirted trucks for a late type appearance, appropriate for operation with both the Silver Streak Zephyr as well as the California Zephyr.
- “Red Band” nose striping and lettering that match this locomotive’s appearance as it operated during the 1960’s.
- DCC friendly mechanism coupled to a powerful 5-pole motor.
- Comes with an optional coupler clip and removable front cowling to portray the locomotive with either an exposed or hidden coupler housing.