The BCH Bogie Coal Hopper was built by A.Goninan and Commonwealth Engineering (Granville) in the period 1951-62. Some 1700 units were built and were constructed of composite welded and riveted steel. The BCH has a capacity of 42 tons and rides on 2BP bogies. It is fitted automatic couplings, roller bearings and solid disc wheels.
BCH type Coal Hoppers were built to transport the expected increase in coal production from the Western Coal Field. When the traffic did not eventuate,
it was found that the hoppers were not suitable for loading at many of the then existing mines, so they were converted for hauling bulk wheat